Search This Blog and/or Web

APPLE (STRUDEL) MUFFINS - Jablickove Mufiny

When I came to live in America my cultural shock was enormous. Some experiences were very exciting, and some were very depressing to me. For example I missed the European architecture. I missed certain foods that were not available in the US. But I learned to cope, and I learned to substitute, I tried new things and I learned to love this country and its people.

One of the things that I found interesting in America upon my arrival were muffins. They were not available in my country. We didn't know they exist. After the Eastern Europe opened their doors to foreigners even muffins made their way to my country since. So, when I first ate muffin I was amazed that this cake-like baked good can be actually eaten for breakfast, because it was as not sweet as cakes. Actually they were designed to be eaten for breakfast, and perhaps they are baked in special muffin pans so they bake faster, since everyone is hungry when they wake up, right?

My family likes apple (strudel) muffins and pumpkin muffins. (When I will bake pumpkin muffins I will post my recipe). Apple strudel muffins are muffins with a topping. But we do not like our breakfast to be too sweet, so I omit the topping. They are great even without it. Below is my version of Apple muffins. Please see also the topping below the recipe.

Step-by-Step Directions
Muffins:

1 apple coarsely grated (Granny Smith is the best but if you do not have it on hand use other type)
2 large or extra large eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 and 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 and 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour

Mix all wet ingredients

Topping

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter

Mix dry ingredients and pour slowly melted butter over it and mix into lumps with wooden spoon


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. I must approve all comments (which are sent to me via e-mail automatically) in order to be visible on my blog.