Search This Blog and/or Web

SAUTEED CHICKEN WITH KOHLRABI - Dusene Kure S Kedlubnou

My family used to visit my uncle in a small village back in my old country. He used to grow most of his produce and whenever we visited, he gave us many vegetables and fruits. One of them was kohlrabi. He grew two types - one in a light green color and one in a purple color. I really never knew any difference, but as children we used to peel it and eat it raw. It was delicious.

I was happy when I discovered kohlrabi in stores in the US. I would occasionally buy kohlrabi and eat it. My husband never ate it, so I decided to use it to cook dinner for him tonight. I didn't want to push the kohlrabi on him raw, since it was not his custom. I searched the recipes on line and found one Italian recipe, which actually could pass for a Czech recipe too. Both of us would enjoy this food, I thought.

However, I didn't have 3 ingredients at home, so I tweaked the recipe to fit what I had in my "frigidaire".

3 chicken breasts
2 kohlrabis, including leaves
olive oil
few saffron threads
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground coriander
5 spring onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 can of diced tomatoes
salt
pepper
1 and 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup parsley
1/2 lemon


Rinse chicken breast and cut into slices. Heat about 2-3 Tbl olive oil in a big pan add chicken, sprinkle it with salt and pepper and brown chicken slices. Peel kohlrabi and cut into small squares. Rinse kohlrabi leaves and cut them  into thin strips (set aside, they will go last with parsley). Remove chicken from pan and add 2 Tbl olive oil, saffron, turmeric and coriander and cook them on low heat for few minutes. Add green onions and garlic. Cook for for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add chicken back to the big pan, add tomatoes and kohlrabi squares. Sprinkle with salt and pepper again. Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add chicken stock, bring to boil then reduce heat to a low simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes. Add kohlrabi leaves and chopped parsley. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 more minutes. Squeeze 1/2 the lemon as soon as the Chicken Kohlrabi is cooked. Serve with rice.

It took me less then one hour to cook it - start to finish. And it is a healthy too.


Brown Chicken

Some spices used in my recipe

Cut up kohlrabi, kohlrabi leaves, onion, garlic

cook saffron, turmeric and coriander

add onion and garlic

saute onion and garlic

add chicken, kohlrabi and tomatoes

cook for couple of minutes

add chicken broth

parsley

add parsley and kohlrabi leaves and cook 10 more minutes

ENJOY YOUR HEALTHY MEAL



No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated. I must approve all comments (which are sent to me via e-mail automatically) in order to be visible on my blog.